Annapurna Pictures brought on Submersive to promote SORRY TO BOTHER YOU, a hard-to-characterize social satire with a below-the-radar cast and controversial director. Submersive rose to the challenge and helped turn the film into one of the biggest surprise hits of the year.
• In limited release, SORRY TO BOTHER YOU brought in a massive $44,000 per screen, easily the best of the week and the fourth-highest of the year’s indie openings. The film broke into the top ten in its second week, landing a #7 spot despite playing in only 805 theaters with a gross of $4.3 million, an opening that was widely hailed as a home run for Annapurna.
• Secured 500+ features, including green band and red band trailers debuts, clips, interviews, in-studio videos, etc., including top film and entertainment sites such as Rotten Tomatoes, IMDb, Cinema Blend, Den of Geek, Entertainment Weekly, Fandango, Indiewire, JoBlo, Paste Magazine and Slashfilm.
• Locked dozens of in-studio filmed content pieces and interviews with the cast and director with top outlets such as AOL Build, Bustle, BuzzFeed, Collider, Glamour, GQ, IMDb, NowThis, Refinery29, Shondaland, UpRoxx, The Verge, Thrillist, Vice, Vox, and Vulture.
• Lined up the cast and director on a who’s who of top podcasts, including WTF with Marc Maron, Bullseye with Jesse Thorn, Comedy Bang Bang, ESPN’s The Right Time with Bomani Jones, The Ringer’s The Big Picture, The Flop House, Unladylike, Yo, Is This Racist? and many others.
• Submersive contributed social and experiential content to the campaign, including a “Star Map” of the film’s version of Oakland, which was printed and passed out across the Bay Area as well as appearing on the film’s social channels.